Don’t Flush It! Brochure

Click here for: Printable Brochure

Most of us are familiar with the damaging effects of phosphate pollution and e. coli contamination in Vermont’s lakes.  Unfortunately, our contribution of pollutants doesn’t end there. The typical Vermont household flushes, pours, spills, or spreads a wide range of other harmful materials and chemicals:

  • Fats, oils, and greases (FOGs) such as bacon grease and frying oils clog pipes, pumps, and tanks;
  • Fibrous materials such as paper towels, tampons, Q-Tips, dental floss, hair, and so-called “flushable” wipes cause treatment system blockages that are expensive to repair;
  • Solid objects such as tampon applicators and cigarette butts, and plastic films such as product wrappers also cause clogs;
  • PPCPs – pharmaceuticals and personal care products — such as antibiotics, anti-microbials, birth control pills, insect repellent, hair dyes, and laundry products end up in groundwater, rivers, and lakes, harming aquatic ecosystems;
  • Chemicals used in the garage, lawn, and garden – degreasers, solvents, waxes, paints, antifreeze, fertilizers, insecticides, and weed-killers — wreak havoc in aquatic ecosystems, causing animal deformities and upsetting food chains.  

In homes with private septic systems, these contaminants impair system effectiveness and enter groundwater flow; also, when private septic tanks are pumped, the material is often taken to a municipal plant for treatment (see following).

Homes on town/city sewers release these contaminants directly to the inflows of their public wastewater treatment facilities.  The FOGs and solid materials cause blockages, requiring repairs and costing taxpayers money.  Many of the harmful chemicals cannot be detected or removed by facilities, so too many end up – invisible, but damaging – in our natural waters.

The only remedy is to prevent them from entering the water in the first place.  That means we, as individuals, need to learn what NOT to allow into our wastewater (and stormwater), and how to properly dispose of pollutants.

Thanks to the LCBP grant, GMWEA is now developing a series of four informational brochures, to be sent to every city and town in Vermont.  Delivered to ratepayers with water/sewer bills, the brochures – along with website/blog postings and other media coverage – will inform Vermont households about how to reduce their outputs of ecosystem-damaging chemicals/materials and how to dispose of them properly. 

Temporary Officiant Registration Now Online

The Vermont Secretary of State’s Office is pleased to announce a new online Temporary Officiant Registration Portal.  Users can navigate to the portal by clicking the “Temporary Officiant” link at the top of every page of the Vermont Secretary of State Website.

The new portal provides applicants with 24/7 online registration service. The full application process may be completed online, or applications can be printed and mailed. The portal provides additional pertinent information and links for temporary officiants, including a guide to completing the Vermont Department of Health Civil Marriage Certificate.

Vermont’s Temporary Officiant Program has experienced steady growth in popularity with usage increasing 62.86% from 2014 to 2018.  We believe adding the online registration option provides even more availability and ease of use for Vermont civil marriage participants.

Temporary Officiant Applications
2018 2017 2016 2015 2014
1,508 1,349 1,284 1,055 948

Please feel free to share this email to make others aware of the new online option.  If you have questions about the program please contact either Alana Alger, 828-2363,, or myself, for further information.

Thank you.

Marlene Betit, M.B.A.

Director – Divisions of Administrative Services & Corporations/Business Services Vermont Secretary of State

Phone:  (802)-828-2477

Fax:  (802)-828-2496

2018 Master Composter Course: Registration is Open!

2018 Master Composter Course: Registration is Open!

I hope everyone is enjoying the beautiful Vermont summer we are having! We are announcing that registration is now open for the 2018 Master Composter Course! This course is provided in collaboration with the Agency of Natural Resources through grant funding, and the self-funded UVM Extension Master Gardener Program. Please see the details below where you will find the link to the course registration website.

With Vermont’s Universal Recycling Law (Act 148) ban of disposal of food scraps in landfills by 2020, courses such as this play an important role in educating communities on the need for composting. In fact, one of the class lectures is specific to learning more about this law.

Best regards, Lisa

September 13-Nov. 9
Thursdays 6-7pm
Registration Deadline
: September 12th
Fee: $50 In state, $150 out of state

100% Live Online-Topics Include: Soil and Decomposition Ecology, Biology of Composting, , Recipe Design, Disease Control, Site and Container Selection, VT Act 148, Managing the Compost Process, Troubleshooting, Educational Outreach, Worm Composting, *One optional hands- on session will also be offered on a Saturday in each region of the state

Online Course: Pre-recorded Lectures, Live Q&A sessions, Homework, Final Exam, & 10 hrs. of hands-on volunteering in your area=Certified Vermont Master Composter Volunteer

Course-Only Option: No volunteer service required and receive a Vermont Certificate of Home Composting

Anyone requiring a disability-related accommodation to participate should contact the Master Gardener Program office by August 22 – 802-656-9562 –


Click image for link to full flyer.


Addison County Transportation Survey

Addison County Transportation Survey

A group of students in one of Middlebury College’s environmental studies senior seminars is studying biking, driving, and walking habits in Addison County, as well as how biking and walking infrastructure in Addison County might be improved.  They have created a survey to collect information on these topics and have requested ACRPC’s assistance in its distribution.

The survey can be accessed at this link:

If you have any questions, feel free to contact Hunter Cole, who is Cc’d on this email.

Thanks so much, I know they are very appreciative of your assistance!


Josh Donabedian Transportation Planner

14 Seminary Street,
Middlebury, Vermont 05753
(802) 388.3141

Addison County Community Health Needs Assessment Survey

Addison County Community Health Needs Assessment Survey

We are interested in your input.  Mountain Health Center, a federally qualified health center located in Bristol, and the University of Vermont Health Network Porter Medical Center are collaborating with the Community Health Action Team, which is a group of local organizations focused on improving health outcomes in Addison County, to conduct a survey to assess the top health and social needs of our community.

This survey will take approximately 10 minutes to complete.  Results of the survey will be available later in 2018.  All responses will be anonymous and confidential.  Your opinions are valuable to us and we appreciate your time.

Please distribute widely.


Jeffrey Heath, RN
Public Health Nurse Supervisor
Vermont Department of Health
156 South Village Green
Middlebury, Vermont 05753
802-388-4610 (fax)

Like us on Facebook!


2017 Whiting Unclaimed Property List


The Unclaimed Property Division of the Vermont State Treasurer Office reunites Vermont residents with lost and/or abandoned assets. During our fiscal 2015 year, we returned more than $5.11 million to current and former residents.


WHITING Online Searchable List for Whiting (click here)

What is Unclaimed Property?

One standard defintion for unclaimed property: any type of financial asset owed to an individual, business, agency, nonprofit, etc. and in possession of a holder for a specified amount of time without any contact from the “owner” (individual owed the credit, refund, rebate, etc.).

Banks,  credit unions, corporations, utilities, insurance agencies, retailers,  states and state agencies, brokerage houses and other entities annually report forgotten bank accounts, uncashed pay checks,  unrefunded security deposits,  stocks returned by the US Postal Service,  mutual funds,  IRAs and and even the contents of safe deposit boxes to the unclaimed property departments in each of the 50 states in the United States of America, as well as in the District of Columbia,  Canada, Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands. The Vermont State Treasurer Office receives these assets and safeguards them until claimed by rightful owners or heirs.

How Much is Returned?

In fiscal year 2015,  the Unclaimed Property Division of the State Treasurer Office disbursed more than $5.11 million through 13,107 individual claims.  The average claim paid was $389. This represents cash only; it excludes equities or mutual fund distributions. For the 10-year period ending fiscal year 2013, including distribution of mutual funds and equities, the State’s average return rate was 54.77 percent.

Businesses and Non-Profit Organizations Have Unclaimed Property Too.

Businesses and non-profit organizations also have unclaimed property.  Search for your business, place of worship or community organization to see if it is on the list.  State Treasurer Beth Pearce personally delivered checks to several non-profit organizations during a recent outreach effort. More

Reclaiming Your Property is a Free Consumer-Protection Service.

It only takes a moment to search and see if we have any unclaimed property in your name.  Questions? Send an email to  or call (802) 828-2407  (800/642-3191 – toll-free in Vermont only). We are always happy to assist you.

Which State Statutes Govern Vermont Unclaimed Property?

All processes for reporting and disbursing unclaimed assets are guided by Vermont Statutes Title 27: Property, Chapter 14: Unclaimed Property.

Stay Informed About Unclaimed Property.

Lost Life Insurance Benefits

Searching for a lost life insurance policy or payment? Use this Web page to search for lost benefits.

Frauds or Swindles

Some Web sites and phone solicitors claiming to want to assist you in obtaining the return your abandoned assets can be fraudulent.  Review these  helpful tips to evaluate such offers and avoid being defrauded.

Wood Stove Change-Out Incentive

To Whom It May Concern:

In November 2016, the Clean Energy Development Fund (CEDF) and Air Quality and Climate Division introduced a wood stove change-out incentive. This financial incentive will encourage Vermonters to replace their old non EPA-certified stoves with cleaner heating systems, and will require that the old stoves are properly recycled or disposed of at a solid waste district, licensed salvage yard or certified recycling facility.

As part of the incentive offer, participating retailers will need to bring the old stoves to a certified recycling facility, licensed salvage yard or solid waste district either to be recycled or disposed of in accordance with applicable law. These stoves may be used for salvage material and/or scrap metal. However, these stoves cannot be reused or resold for intended use as a wood boiler of any kind. Participating facilities will be asked to act as final receivers of the stoves and to sign the Final Project Documentation and Incentive Request Form (presented by the retailer) to verify that a stove has been received. The retailer will be responsible for all other documentation.

To assist participating retailers in implementing the wood stove change-out incentive, the Renewable Energy Resource Center (RERC), which is administering the program, is compiling a list of facilities where stoves can be recycled or disposed of in accordance with applicable law. If you are interested in being listed as a participating facility, please contact the Program Manager, Allison Fode, at or (802) 540-7859 at your earliest convenience. You may also visit our website at for more information about the program (information will be posted by the end of today on our Application Forms page).

This incentive is provided through the Small Scale Renewable Energy Incentive Program (SSREIP) of the CEDF with additional funding from the Department of Environmental Conservations, Division of Air Quality & Climate and is administered by the RERC. If you have any questions, please contact us at your earliest convenience. We thank you for your assistance and look forward to working with you to implement Vermont’s wood stove change-out incentive!

Best Regards,

Allison Fode
Program Manager
Renewable Energy Resource Center
Vermont Energy Investment Corporation
128 Lakeside Avenue
Burlington, VT 05401
Direct: (802) 540-7859